Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application

От Steve Wampler
Тема Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Mohan, Ross wrote:
> I wish I had a Dell system and run case to show you Alex, but I don't...
> however...using Oracle's "direct path" feature, it's pretty straightforward.
>
> We've done 110,000 rows per second into index-less tables on a big system
> (IBM Power5 chips, Hitachi SAN). ( Yes, I am sure: over 100K a second. Sustained
> for almost 9 minutes. )
>
> Yes, this is an exception, but oracle directpath/InsertAppend/BulkLoad
> feature enabled us to migrate a 4 TB database...really quickly.

How close to this is PG's COPY?  I get surprisingly good results using
COPY with jdbc on smallish systems (now if that patch would make into
the mainstream PG jdbc support!)  I think COPY has a bit more overhead
than what a Bulkload feature may have, but I suspect it's not that
much more.

> Now...if you ask me "can this work without Power5 and Hitachi SAN?"
> my answer is..you give me a top end Dell and SCSI III on 15K disks
> and I'll likely easily match it, yea.
>
> I'd love to see PG get into this range..i am a big fan of PG (just a
> rank newbie) but I gotta think the underlying code to do this has
> to be not-too-complex.....

It may not be that far off if you can use COPY instead of INSERT.
But comparing Bulkload to INSERT is a bit apples<->orangish.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu

Сообщение: Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?
Сообщение: Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this