Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Monday 04 April 2005 12:01, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>

>>>... If there are no license or build issues I'm in favor.
>>>

>>Peter has pointed out that the problem of circular dependencies is a
>>showstopper for integrating plPHP.  The build order has to be
>> Postgres
>> PHP (since its existing DB support requires Postgres to build)
>> plPHP
>>so putting #1 and #3 into the same package is a no go.  Which is too
>>bad, but I see no good way around it.
>>

>AFAICT Peter's claim is false.  You can install plphp in the order of PHP,
>PostgreSQL,plPHP  which is the same for all of the other pl's.
>
>You don't need postgresql installed before php any more than you need it
>installed for perl (although you do need postgresql installed to compile some
>of the perl & php db interfaces, but that is all after the fact.)

I am told that the difference is that PHP gives you a choice of
statically or dynamically linked db support. By contrast, in Perl, for
example, DBD::Pg is always built dynamically (AFAIK). Your assessment
appears to be true for the (very common) case where PHP's client side db
support is dynamically linked.

cheers

andrew