Re: Timezone database changes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Timezone database changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Magne Mæhre <Magne.Mahre@Sun.COM> writes:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC there is no universally accepted
> canonical list of time zone names (labels).

Yeah; we have an agreed-on list of names for the purposes of PG, namely
the names shown by pg_timezone_names, but that list changes from time to
time.  What's worse, it might be different on some platforms than others
even for the same PG release, since some distros override our zic
database with the system's own.

So one of the problems that would have to be surmounted to have a
datatype that embeds a zone ID is to figure out a persistent, but
compact, ID to assign to each zone ...