Re: Building postmaster with Profiling Support WAS "Tweaking a C

От: Adam Palmblad
Тема: Re: Building postmaster with Profiling Support WAS "Tweaking a C
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

The recompile was done by the sysadmin, but I believe the flags are -pg
-DLINUX_PROFILING for profiling, and -g for debug symbols.
This leaves gmon.out files around, which you can then do a "gprof
/usr/bin/postmaster gmon.out" to see whats going on.

My problem is that this gives me data on what functions are being called
with respect to the postmaster binary, but I don't know
which of my functions - in my shared library - in my C procedure are
taking the most time.

-Adam
Mohan, Ross wrote:

>Adam -
>
>Is compiling postmaster with profiling support just a flag
>in the build/make? Or is there something more involved?
>
>I'd like to be able to do this in the future and so am
>curious about means/methods.
>
>If this is a RTFM, just let me know that (am currently
>Reading The F Manual), but if you have any "special sauce"
>here, that'd be of great interest.
>
>Thanks
>
>-Ross

Palmblad