Re: Licensing

От Miroslav Šulc
Тема Re: Licensing
Дата
Re: Licensing  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Lance Obermeyer wrote:

>MySQL is a commercial company that wants to sell licenses.  Their open source offering licensed under something called
theGPL (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php), which is in some ways quite complex.  You or your client
should consult an attorney to see whether your intended use meets its terms.  Based on your response from the MySQL
accountrep, it sounds like your app would not be in compliance.

If I understood MySQL licensing correctly, simply said, end user has two
choices:

1) when using application that is licensed under GPL, he/she can use
MySQL for free
2) when using application under any other license (simplified), he/she
must pay for each MySQL installation

BTW, this was one of our reasons we enhanced our database backend code
to use PostgreSQL (besides MySQL) and now its our number one choice for
our clients.

Miroslav Šulc

Вложения

От: Christopher Browne
Сообщение: Re: Licensing
От: Oddbjørn Steffensen
Сообщение: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation