Re: pgAdminIII and the LogFile - useless for debugging

От Scott Chapman
Тема Re: pgAdminIII and the LogFile - useless for debugging
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
>>PgAdmin needs to find another way to get the log file length
>>besides a
>>SQL query to the database!  I'm off to deal with cygwin now.  :(
>

> Without rewriting the PostgreSQL communications protocol to allow
> non-SQL based interaction with the server, there is no way to do this.
>
> A workaround might be to add some easily distinguishable noise to the
> log viewer queries that we can then use to filter out those lines.

Dave,

I'd hope there's an easier way to do this than rewriting communications
protocols.

Kludge #1: Make the database send these particular log entries to the
log with a different category (above) LOG so that you can have them NOT
be logged at all unless you set logging to something up in the DEBUG range.

Kludge #2: If it's a local install, where Pg is running on the same
server as pgAdmin, then you could use a file-system method to learn when
the log file changes, bypassing Pg entirely.  You could also use a file
system call to read the file.  Kludgy all around, huh?

Kludge #3: If you added some noise to the log, it has to take care of
all three lines that are showing up there. The filtration would need to
be handled by PgAdmin because Pg doesn't have any way to do this filtration.

The end result of #2 or #3 is that you'd still have a majorly clutter'd
logfile whether PgAdmin showed them or not.

The non-kludgy way to fix this that will meet the need the best is to
have the database developers put in the kludge at their end or
re-engineer the communications protocols (like that will happen soon!)

Scott

Сообщение: Re: pgAdminIII and the LogFile - useless for debugging
Сообщение: Re: pgAdminIII and the LogFile - useless for debugging