Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?

От Markus Schaber
Тема Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi, Ramon,

Ramon Bastiaans schrieb:

> The database's performance is important. There would be no use in
> storing the data if a query will take ages. Query's should be quite fast
> if possible.

Which kind of query do you want to run?

Queries that involve only a few rows should stay quite fast when you set
up the right indices.

However, queries that involve sequential scans over your table (like
average computation) will take years. Get faaaaaast I/O for this. Or,
better, use a multidimensional data warehouse engine. Those can
precalculate needed aggregate functions and reports. But they need loads
of storage (because of very redundant data storage), and I don't know
any open source or cheap software.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich

Сообщение: Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?
Сообщение: Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?