Re: problem inserting local characters ...

От Markus Schaber
Тема Re: problem inserting local characters ...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi, Garry,

Garry schrieb:

> Trying to do this insert, I get an error on both the values
> "TelefonGeschäft" and "Firmenstraße":
>
> FEHLER:  ungültige Byte-Sequenz für Kodierung »UNICODE«: 0xe165

This sounds as your database was created in unicode (utf-8).

> (the 0xe165 differs between the two; the fields in question are regular
> type "text" fields)
>
> Looks like I'm having some trouble with unicode encoding ... The
> characters I have are regular 8bit ASCII chars ... How can I fix this?

No, 8bit ASCII does not exist. ASCII always is 7 bit. As your error
message is in German, I suspect your data is encoded in LATIN1 or LATIN9
(their only difference is the EUR symbol in the latter one).

Can you try to add the following command before your insert statements:

set client_encoding to latin1;

HTH,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich