Re: Problem with inserting data into a table.....

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Problem with inserting data into a table.....
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sharon Abu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> new to postgreSQL.....
>
> I'm running postgreSQL 8.0.1 on win 2k and and i have created a database
> (for testing....) using pgAdmin-III application
> i'v'e also managed to create table with just few simple columns... so far so
> good.

> the name of the table & its columns are correct (I've checked it....)
>
> The execution fails with the following message :  ERROR:  relation
> "col_led_tbl" does not exist

Actually, the name of the table isn't correct.

You'll have created it using pgAdmin as an upper-case table, and are
trying to access it folded to lower-case (as in the error message).

If you create/query tables without quotes they get folded to lower-case.
Quoting creation/queries preserves case.

So:
CREATE TABLE "Foo" ...
SELECT * FROM "Foo" (works)
SELECT * FROM Foo (fails, gets folded to lower-case)
CREATE TABLE Bar ...
SELECT * FROM Bar (works)
SELECT * FROM BAR (works)
SELECT * FROM "bar" (works)
SELECT * FROM "Bar" (fails - it was created as lower-case)

You might find section 4.1 of the manuals useful, as well as the FAQ
   http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/faqs/FAQ.html

In fact, if possible make a nice hot cup of tea/coffee, put a favourite
CD on, put up your feet and read the FAQ and first third of the manuals
before going any further. Time well spent, I can guarantee it.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd