db replication and errors

От Benjamin
Тема db replication and errors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

The scene :
Currently, we r using,  Postgresql v 7.3, on RedHat 9
machines.

We provide a hot standby at all times for the Primary
server.

So, we have to maintain a duplicate of  the entire
database.
The problem arises, when the standby boots.

I wanted to know, whenever the standby boots up, what
all files shud it copy frm the Primary.
All files, under the data directory??
Viz., global, base, clog and xlog?

What are those pg_internal.init, pgstat.stat files?
What's the difference between global and base
directories?
If the async feature is used on the primary, shud we
copy on the xlog and clog files onto the backup as
well?

As of now, we shut down postmaster, on the Primary
whenever the standby boots up, and then copy all the above said files,
from the primary to the standby.

Duz this ensure, all data is written onto the disk b4
postmaster shut downs?

Quite a few times, I have encountered errors, like, xlogflush is not
satisfied,
bogus attribute number for <some num , eg. -2>,  catalog is missing,
cache lookup failed.
I am pretty sure, these are related to the copying of files I described
above.

Any links for me to find more abt these files, and these typical error
conditions encountered?
The archive lists, did give me some information abt these errors. But
cudnt make out much.

These and more... one at a time.

Regards

--

Benjamin Jacob.

Disclaimer :
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission to whom it is
addressed, or have received this transmission in error, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmission
is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail
from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, which cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, arrive at wrong address or contain viruses. If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version.  This e-mail contains only the
personal opinions of the sender and does not represent an official
communication from NetYantra of any manner.