Re: win32 performance - fsync question

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
>

>>So Linux is indeed doing a cache flush on fsync
>

> Actually I think the root of the problem was precisely that Linux does not
> issue any sort of cache flush commands to drives on fsync. There was some talk
> on linux-kernel of what how they could take advantage of new ATA features
> planned on new SATA drives coming out now to solve this. But they didn't seem
> to think it was urgent or worth the performance hit of doing a complete cache
> flush.

Oh, ok. I haven't really kept up to date with it; I just run with
write-cache disabled on my IDE drives as a matter of course.

I did see this:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.1/0471.html

which implies you're never going to get an implementation that is safe
across all IDE hardware :(

-O

Сообщение: Re: win32 performance - fsync question
Сообщение: Re: win32 performance - fsync question