Re: Help me recovering data

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Help me recovering data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>in the foot.  We've seen several instances of people blowing away
>>pg_xlog and pg_clog, for example, because they "don't need log files".
>>Or how about failing to keep adequate backups?  That's a sure way for an
>>ignorant admin to lose data too.
>>

>There is a difference between actively doing something stupid and failing
>to realize a maintenence task is required.
>
>PostgreSQL should stop working. When the admin tries to understand why,
>they can read a troubleshooting FAQ and say "oops, I gotta run this vacuum
>thingy." That is a whole lot better than falling off a cliff you didn't
>even know was there.

There is another way to look at this as lends itself to mohawksoft's
argument.

More often than not DBAs and Sysadmins are neither one. They are people
that get shoved into the job because they happen to mention around
the water cooler that they "once" installed linux/freebsd -- whatever.

Maybe it is an executive that has some of his brains left after
sitting behind a desk all day for the last 10 years. One day he/she
gets a thought in his head to create a new project named "foo".

He does not want to waste his internal resources so said executive
decides he will do it himself as a hobby. For some reason, the project
actually succeeds (I have seen this many times) and the company starts
using it.

Well guess what... it uses PostgreSQL. The guy isn't a DBA, heck he is
even really a programmer. He had know idea about this "vacuum" thing. He
had never heard of other databases having to do it.

So they run for a year, and then all of a sudden **BOOM** the world ends.

Do you think they are going to care that we "documented" the issue? Uhmmm
no they won't. Chances are they will drop kick PostgreSQL and bad talk it
to all their other executive friends.

In short, this whole argument has the mark of irresponsibility on both
parties but it is is the PostgreSQL projects responisbility to make
reasonable effort to produce a piece of software that doesn't break.

We are not talking about a user who ran a query: delete from foo;

At this point we have a known critical bug. Usually the PostgreSQL community
is all over critical bugs. Why is this any different?

It sounds to me that people are just annoyed that users don't RTFM. Get
over it. Most won't. If users RTFM more often, it would put most support
companies out of business.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Вложения