Re: How to interpret this explain analyse?

От Bricklen Anderson
Тема Re: How to interpret this explain analyse?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Greg Stark wrote:
> Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
>

>>Ouch.  Is this really a reasonable assumption?  I figured the primary
>>use of a cursor was to fetch small amounts of data at a time from a
>>large table, so 10% seems extremely high as an average fetch size.  Or
>>is the optimization based on the number of rows that will be fetched
>>by the cursor during the cursor's lifetime (as opposed to in a single
>>fetch)?
>>
>>Also, one has to ask what the consequences are of assuming a value too
>>low versus too high.  Which ends up being worse?
>

> This is one of the things the planner really cannot know. Ultimately it's the
> kind of thing for which hints really are necessary. Oracle distinguishes
> between the "minimize total time" versus "minimize startup time" with
> /*+ ALL_ROWS */ and /*+ FIRST_ROWS */ hints, for example.
>
> I would also find it reasonable to have hints to specify a selectivity for
> expressions the optimizer has no hope of possibly being able to estimate.
> Things like "WHERE myfunction(col1,col2,?) /*+ 10% */"

Not to mention that hints would be helpful if you want to specify a particular index for a specific
query (case in point, testing plans and response of various indices without having to drop and
create other ones). This is a bit of functionality that I'd like to see.

От: "Merlin Moncure"
Сообщение: Re: seq scan cache vs. index cache smackdown
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: seq scan cache vs. index cache smackdown