Re: Lost rows/data corruption?

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: Lost rows/data corruption?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Andrew Hall" <temp02@bluereef.com.au> writes:
>
>> We haven't been able to isolate what causes it but it's unlikely to be
>> hardware as it happens on quite a few of our customer's boxes.
>

> Okay, then not hardware; but it seems like you ought to be in a position
> to create a test case for other people to poke at.  I don't insist on
> a 100% reproducible case, but something that will show the problem if
> run for awhile would be a great help.

His original statement prompts a question in my mind.  I may be wrong
here, but when he noted:

'We also use XFS on linux 2.6 as a file system, so the FS should be
fairly tolerant to power-outages.'

Is Andrew indicating here that there might be some issues with power
loss on some of these boxes?  If so, is it reasonable to assume that the
filesystem is able to maintain the database integrity in such a power
loss?  I understand that XFS is quite a robust file system, but I can't
see relying on such robustness for database integrity (or any file
integrity for that matter).  UPS's might be a better solution.

So the actual question in my mind that I didn't see anyone touch on is,
is it safe to assume that a power outage will not affect the database
integrity based on the robustness of the file system type?

Personally, I would not rely on such, but I'd like to hear what the
Postgresql experts think about this issue.

Then again, I may have read too much into Andrew's post.  Andrew, do you
assume there have been power issues with any of these machines?  Are you
comfortable relying on the filesystem to deal with such issues?

Ideally, I would research any corrolation between power outages and the
database problems.  If there are no power outages to speak of, then
sorry for yapping up the wrong woody perennial plant.

Really just fishing for some insights here folks.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Сообщение: Re: How to view the list of tables?
Сообщение: Re: How to view the list of tables?