Re: vacuum confusion

От John Sidney-Woollett
Тема Re: vacuum confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(Apologies if this message comes twice - my imap server and mail client
had a little problem)...

I've just noticed that the v8 docs are MUCH better in explaining this
than the 7.4.6 docs that I'm using (since I'm using 7.4.6 in production).

Perhaps if the same texts

<QUOTE>
play=# VACUUM;
WARNING:  some databases have not been vacuumed in 1613770184 transactions
HINT:  Better vacuum them within 533713463 transactions, or you may have
a wraparound failure.
VACUUM
</QUOTE>

and warning

<QUOTE>
To be sure of safety against transaction wraparound, it is necessary to
vacuum every table, including system catalogs, in every database at
least once every billion transactions. We have seen data loss situations
caused by people deciding that they only needed to vacuum their active
user tables, rather than issuing database-wide vacuum commands. That
will appear to work fine ... for a while.
</QUOTE>

were added to the 7.4.x docs that would help others too.

Thanks

John Sidney-Woollett