Re: Instructions for Linux ipc config

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Instructions for Linux ipc config
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood <markir@coretech.co.nz> writes:
>
>>Glancing over these as I was doing the FreeBSD patch, I noticed some
>>scope for modernization there plus a possible error to correct:
>

>>i) we could standardize the change method to use sysctl instead of
>>echo'ing things into /proc/kernel/* structures (unless there is some
>>reason for this to be preferable?)
>

> How far back in Linux history does that work?  It would be bad to remove
> instructions needed for versions that people are still using.  But yeah,
> if we can standardize on describing sysctl that's probably a good thing,
> since it applies to more than one platform.

Interesting question (goes away to look at old linux distros...). Some
quite old ones have a sysctl binary - e.g. Redhat 6.2 / linux 2.2.14.

But to be on the safe side, it would make sense to do something similar
to the BSD section, and comment about older distributions maybe needing
to manipulate /proc/kernel/* directly.

regards

Mark

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Instructions for Linux ipc config
От: "Merlin Moncure"
Сообщение: faq 4.20: pl/pgsql temporary tables create/drop