Re: When is a blank not a null or ''

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: When is a blank not a null or ''
Дата
Re: When is a blank not a null or ''  (Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com>)
Список pgsql-general
mike wrote:
> I have the following query (I have removed all nulls from the field as
> test)
>
> SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts  WHERE
> tb_contacts.work_email <>'';
>
> However I get loads of blank email addresses coming up
>
> anyone any ideas

A blank is never a NULL:

SELECT '' IS NULL;
  ?column?
----------
(1 row)

Try this:

SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts  WHERE
tb_contacts.work_email IS NOT NULL;

Or if there are also blanks among those e-mail addresses:

SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts  WHERE
tb_contacts.work_email IS NOT NULL AND tb_contacts.work_email != '';

--
Alban Hertroys
MAG Productions

T: +31(0)53 4346874