Re: Can pgadmin admin a remote DB?

От Raphaël Enrici
Тема Re: Can pgadmin admin a remote DB?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Shea Martin wrote:

> I installed psql (from source), gtk2(sunfreeware.com), wxwidgets(from
> source) and pgadmin(from source).  But pgadmin just segaults before I
> even see a window, despite the fact that ldd shows now errors (see my
>
> So I have decided that the solution might be to leave the data base on
> the machine it is now (I need the DB there), and install pgadmin on a
> solaris 10 box, which comes with gtk2, and many more modern libs that
> the solaris 8 box.  Then use pgadmin on the sol10 box to admin psql on
> the sol8 box.  Is this possible?

Yes it is... At least if pgAdmin runs ok on your sol 10 box. pgAdmin is
mainly designed to do remote admin although it can administrate a local
db using a tcp connection.

> If the answer is yes, then what Postgres packages do I have to install
> on sol 10 box?  there is the postgres-7.4.6 tarball, then the docs,
> base, opt, and test.  Obviously docs, opt, and test are not needed.
> Do I need both of the other two or just 'base'?

All you need on server side is: the server part :)
On client side (the sol10 box) all you should need is the libpq and its
dependencies (openssl for example) and the pgAdmin dependencies
(libwxgtk2.5.3). You will have to take care to configure your server to
accept connection from your client just as you would do if you were
configuring your server to be administrated by a remote psql client.

HTH,
Raphaël