Re: Possibly slow query

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Possibly slow query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Peter Darley wrote:
> Folks,
>
>     I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on Linux, and I'm trying to figure out weather a
> query I have is going to be slow when I have more information in my tables.
> both tables involved will likely have ~500K rows within a year or so.
>
>     Specifically I can't tell if I'm causing myself future problems with the
> subquery, and should maybe re-write the query to use a join.  The reason I
> went with the subquery is that I don't know weather a row in Assignments
> will have a corresponding row in Assignment_Settings
>
>     The query is:
> SELECT User_ID
> FROM Assignments A
> WHERE A.User_ID IS NOT NULL
>     AND (SELECT Value FROM Assignment_Settings WHERE Setting='Status' AND
> Assignment_ID=A.Assignment_ID) IS NULL
> GROUP BY User_ID;

You could always use a LEFT JOIN instead, like you say. I'd personally
be tempted to select distinct user_id's then join, but it depends on how
many of each.

You're not going to know for sure whether you'll have problems without
testing. Generate 500k rows of plausible looking test-data and give it a
try.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd