Re: Entering data

От graeme
Тема Re: Entering data
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Thanks,<br /><br /> When I think about it editing data will not be desirable, however it should be possible to add a
newrow, which was what I wanted to do, although I didn't explicitly state that. Anyway I can live with the situation,
KÖPFERLRobert wrote: <blockquote cite="midED4E30DD9C43D5118DFB00508BBBA76EB1658A@neptun.sonorys.at"
type="cite"><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">Hi,

I'm using pgadmin 1.2.0 the version bundled with postgreSQL 8.0 on a
windows XP machine. I am unable to enter data on any table if
that table
doesn't have a primary key. If the table has a primary key then I can
enter data through the View edit data screen.
You're wondering you? You mustn't.

This is normal behavour. The reason is in the understanding of SQL or tuple
arithmetics. A Relation or Table is nothing else than a set of records.
There is no order, no identification. Thus it's not possible to edit
individual records.
There may however be some constraints. UNIQUE constraints over single
columns (Or OIDs).   This makes it possible to identify elements (records)
of such a set. Thus they can be edited via an editor. OIDs do also help to
make it editable.

graeme.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Minna Antrim

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your     joining column's datatypes do not match

 </pre></blockquote>