Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

Hervé Piedvache wrote:

> No ... as I have said ... how I'll manage a database getting a table of may be
> 250 000 000 records ? I'll need incredible servers ... to get quick access or
> index reading ... no ?
>
> So what we would like to get is a pool of small servers able to make one
> virtual server ... for that is called a Cluster ... no ?
>
> I know they are not using PostgreSQL ... but how a company like Google do to
> get an incredible database in size and so quick access ?

Probably by carefully partitioning their data.  I can't imagine anything
being fast on a single table in 250,000,000 tuple range.  Nor can I
really imagine any database that efficiently splits a single table
across multiple machines (or even inefficiently unless some internal
partitioning is being done).

So, you'll have to do some work at your end and not just hope that
a "magic bullet" is available.

Once you've got the data partitioned, the question becomes one of
how to inhance performance/scalability.  Have you considered RAIDb?

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering