Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Amrit,

It's not useless, it's just not optimal.

All operating systems, FC2, FC3, .... will have the same problem with
greater than 4G of memory on a 32 bit processor.

The *only* way to avoid this is to go to a 64 bit processor (opteron) and then
for greater performance use a linux distribution compiled for a 64bit processor.

Have you identified and optimized the queries, are you sure you need more memory?

Dave

amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:
Since the optimal state is to allocate a small amount of memory to
Postgres and leave a huge chunk to the OS cache, this means you are
already hitting the PAE penalty at 1.5GB of memory.

How could I change this hitting?
Upgrade to 64-bit processors + 64-bit linux.
Does the PAE help linux in handling the memory of more than 4 Gb limit in 32 bit
archetech ? My intel server board could handle the mem of 12 Gb [according to
intel spec.] and if I use Fedora C2 with PAE , will it useless for mem of more
than >4Gb.?

Any comment please?
Amrit
Thailand

TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

--
Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com

Сообщение: Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql
Сообщение: Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql