Re: ARC patent

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: ARC patent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040098541%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040098541&RS=DN/20040098541

> Ugh.  We could hope that the patent wouldn't be granted, but I think
> it unlikely, unless Jan is aware of prior art (like a publication
> predating the filing date).  I fear we'll have to change or remove
> that code.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Unfortunately no. The document that inspired me to adapt ARC for
PostgreSQL is from the USENIX File & Storage Technologies Conference
(FAST), March 31, 2003, San Francisco, CA.

I am seriously concerned about this and think we should not knowingly
release code that is possibly infringing a patent.

If we need a different cache algorithm again, we might want to yank out
the ARC part right away now and work on another one for 8.1.

Jan