Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)
Дата
Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)  ("Marek Mosiewicz" <marekmosiewicz@poczta.onet.pl>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:

>I think part of the problem is that there's a bunch of features related to
>these types of queries and the lines between them blur.
>
>You seem to be talking about putting visibility information inside indexes for
>so index-only plans can be performed. But you're also talking about queries
>like "select count(*) from foo" with no where clauses. Such a query wouldn't
>be helped by index-only scans.
>
>Perhaps you're thinking about caching the total number of records in a global
>piece of state like a materialized view? That would be a nice feature but I
>think it should done as a general materialized view implementation, not a
>special case solution for just this one query.
>
>Perhaps you're thinking of the min/max problem of being able to use indexes to
>pick out just the tuples satisfying the min/max constraint. That seems to me
>to be one of the more tractable problems in this area but it would still
>require lots of work.
>
>I suggest you post a specific query you find is slow. Then discuss how you
>think it ought to be executed and why.

You are correct, I am proposing to add visibility to the indexes.

As for unqualified counts, I believe that they could take advantage of
an index-only scan as it requires much less I/O to perform an index scan
than a sequential scan on large tables.

Min/Max would also take advantage of index only scans but say, for
example, that someone has the following:

Relation SOME_USERS
user_id BIGINT PK
user_nm varchar(32) UNIQUE INDEX
some_other_attributes...

If an application needs the user names, it would run SELECT user_nm FROM
SOME_USERS... in the current implementation this would require a
sequential scan.  On a relation which contains 1M+ tuples, this requires
either a lot of I/O or a lot of cache.  An index scan would immensely
speed up this query.

От: Reinhard Max
Сообщение: Re: segfault caused by heimdal (was: SUSE port)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)