Re: rc4, PostgreSQL-installer on WinXP: ignores selected install-directory

От Christoph Becker
Тема Re: rc4, PostgreSQL-installer on WinXP: ignores selected install-directory
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
>The installer will override any environment variables, as it executes
>with its own environment in Windows Installer. To change a directory,
>use the installer features for it. See the FAQ question 3.6.

I did that, and here is FAQ 3.6:
I changed the directory but PostgreSQL was still installed in the
default directory
Make sure you changed the directory of the root feature. The PostgreSQL
installer permits changing the directory of each individual feature. If
you change the root feature ("PostgreSQL"), any subfeatures (such as
"Database Server") will automatically inherit this value as default, but
if you only change a subfeature the rest of the installation will remain
in the default location.

 I can find only one dialog to change the directory, that is where the
following ist offered on my system:
"C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rc5\"  [browse]
But FAQ 3.6 suggests that there are more dialogs to change
subdirectories too.

I tried without success:
g:\pgsql\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rc5\  and g:\pgsql\"
which did not work.
Finally, after reading again FAQ 3.6 I tried
'g:\pgsql\8.0.0-rc5', which worked fine. So the version-part, which here
is  '8.0.0-rc5', must be the last part path.
By this there will be an new directory for every release, which seems
reasonable.
I think there should be given an example like in FAQ 3.6 or even better
in the installation dialog.
Something like:
If 'C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rc5\'  is given here as default
and you would like to install in d:\pgsql, then please
change to 'd:\pgsql\8.0.0-rc5\'

Regards
Christoph Becker