Re: MySQL 5 comparison

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: MySQL 5 comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Robert, folks,

I have hacked a simple script (quick and dirty) to do some basic testing
via jdbc.
This is nothing special - just something simple to get basic results.

The basic idea to execute entire sets of statements and log their
duration in SQL format so that the data can be analyzed easily.

Robert, I have attached the script so you can use it if you wish.
If I can do something for you just let me know.

    Best regards,

       Hans

Robert Bernier wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I sent an email to Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at> and asked if he
>could give me particulars about the bench marking he did. Could I have some
>comments about the idea of making a more structured presentation in an
>article, in the next SRA newsletter, http://sraapowergres.com ?
>

>On January 6, 2005 08:45 am, you wrote:
>

>>>Has anyone spent any time with the MySQL 5.0 alpha, set to go into
>>>

>>beta
>>

>>>shortly
>>>

>>(http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/04/HNmysql5beta_1.html)?
>>

>>>Would be interesting to have a rudimentary comparison checklist - not
>>>

>>so
>>

>>>much benchmarks, as features, as they seem to have added a lot.  And
>>>

>>any
>>

>>>info on how they've implemented these features (e.g. multiple table
>>>

>>types
>>

>>>in order to use different features, etc.) would be of interest.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Ned
>>>

>>Putting my advocacy hat on,
>>If you look at their description of the upcoming features, it's
>>saturated with words like 'basic', 'initial', and 'rudimentary'.  I
>>don't think mysql 5.0 will be a watershed moment where it will become
>>the database of choice for industrial application development...
>>
>>The new stuff on a point by point feature comparison may look
>>impressive, but they need to work on internal stuff like the locking
>>engine, get some real logging etc.
>>
>>On a more even handed note, it's nice to see them get some real
>>features.  Open source success stories are not zero-sum, so what's good
>>for them is not necessarily bad for us.  Competition is good, but pg is
>>at least 3 years ahead of them in development!
>>
>>Merlin

>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Вложения