Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

>>I realize you may be stuck with 7.3.x but you should be aware that 7.4
>>is considerably faster, and 8.0 appears to be even faster yet.
>>

>There are a little bit incompatibility between 7.3 -8 , so rather difficult to
>change.
>

>>I would seriously consider upgrading, if at all possible.
>>
>>A few more hints.
>>
>>Random page cost is quite conservative if you have reasonably fast disks.
>>Speaking of fast disks, not all disks are created equal, some RAID
>>drives are quite slow (Bonnie++ is your friend here)
>>
>>Sort memory can be set on a per query basis, I'd consider lowering it
>>quite low and only increasing it when necessary.
>>
>>Which brings us to how to find out when it is necessary.
>>Turn logging on and turn on log_pid, and log_duration, then you will
>>need to sort through the logs to find the slow queries.
>>

>In standard RH 9.0 , if I enable both of the log [pid , duration] , where could
>I look for the result of the log, and would it make the system to be slower?

On a redhat system logging is more or less disabled if you used the rpm

you can set syslog=2 in the postgresql.conf and then you will get the
logs in messages.log
Yes, it will make it slower, but you have to find out which queries are
slow.

Dave

>Amrit
>Thailand

Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com
519 939 0336
ICQ#14675561

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: sudden drop in statement turnaround latency -- yay!.
От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..