Re: BUG #1350: Backslash ecape charcter violates ISO/ANSI

От Ken Johanson
Тема Re: BUG #1350: Backslash ecape charcter violates ISO/ANSI
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
>We don't hear it very often, perhaps once every four months.  You have
>to double single quotes from user data anyway so most of our interfaces
>have a function that does this and handles backslashes too.

True, but users also need (or already use) a generic, predictable
SQL-escape function (mere apostrophe doubling) from their API, that
needs to work for any database..., but when they try to use it with pg,
they are blindsided when they realize backslash characters are lost (I
know of one company that committed to PG and had to back out after they
eventually realized the backslash issue (porting issue) was too
burdensome for their large codebase - sad).

Unfortunately many APIs dont have the prepared statement style automatic
string escaping available; more importantly, prepared statements dont
work well some highly complex, programaticly generated SQL statements,
and a generic Sql escape function is far easier to use (in my experience).

>Our TODO list probably has even more items you could cite as reasons
>_not_ to use PostgreSQL.  :-)  When it becomes a key issue for someone I
>suppose they will code a fix for it.

I may have this key issue - user share.... the other large open source
DB is adding this compliance-mode at the request of SAP, so this will
leave postgres as the last one standing... so to speak. ;-) Since
incorrect SQL escaping has been a key reservation about (both) these DBs
for users in transition (from commercial DBs), this last mile of
compliance (of this magnitude) will benefit its benefactor with the
market share of those awaiting masses :-)

От: "Charles Tse"
Сообщение: Jdbc3SimpleDataSource does not require the setting of password to access database
От: Michael Fuhr
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 8.0 RC1 not using indexes