Re: New site - final(?) list of problems

От Omar Kilani
Тема Re: New site - final(?) list of problems
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Hi,

> Anyway, I haven't seen any commits in the last couple of days so I
> assume he's more or less finished (Omar; can you confirm where you think
> we're at please?). The following are the issues with the site that I've
> found, barring a couple that I've fixed already:

I was very busy with a pure CSS implementation, which I've just committed.

> - PostgreSQL 8.0 is not out yet but is featured on the front page

I thought the point of the new site was to go live with the release of
8.0. No reason to put it up before that, is there?

> - No privacy policy, yet links to one

Well, I was waiting for it to magically write itself. :)

> - View this page in... links for unused languages

Gone with new commit. Actually, the whole language thing needs to be
rethought. A language should only be added to the list if the vast
majority of the site has been translated. We should follow what Mozilla
Europe does for their site. http://www.mozilla-europe.org . A much
better system, really.

> - Doc page - Says under review??

Just means that it was written at 4am in a hurry, and probably needs to
be reworded.

> - About page is empty

Not anymore.

> - 'Latest News' shows all news - should only be active stuff. Need
> archive page.
> - 'Upcoming Events' shows all events - should only be active stuff. Need
> archive page.
> - 'Upcoming Events' order is wrong - some missing dates?

The previous method doesn't make any sense. Say you wanted to link to
the news section from another page (like we do in about)--not only the
front page. With the previous method, there would be no way to see the
'active' news  on that secondary page. It makes no sense for things to
disappear from the secondary page. The purpose of the front page is to
show (at maximum) 3 latest news and event items [any news item that is
accepted, and any event that is accepted and has a start date > today,
limit 3.)

The upcoming events stuff will work properly when the events have dates
assigned. I've gone through all the events and added dates and locations
to every single one, but I'll need to modify update.sql.

> - Hosting solutions - TODO (lift from Techdocs?)

Going to add this and professional solutions to the admin section.

> - Press enquiries on Contact page - TODO

Was pending CSS stuff. Now done, so Emily's going to help Josh with
markup and so forth.

> As you can see, the majority of those are relatively minor content
> issues. If we want to go live for 8.0, I think we should do it at least
> a week before release if possible, so, any volunteers to pick up items
> on there please? Is there anything I've missed?

support/professional.html:<p>TODO</p>
support/hosting.html:<p>TODO</p>
docs/faq.html:<p>TODO - to be integrated with <a
href="/docs/faq/postgresql">PostgreSQL FAQ</a> through multi-language
support.</p>
about/contact.html:<p>TODO</p>
about/press.html:<p>TODO</p>
about/history.html:<p>TODO</p>

:)

> The master site can be viewed at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/ and a
> mirror at http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org/ - checking both is important
> to ensure the static site generation is working as it should.
>
> Let's make the final push and get this out the door!! :-)

Getting excited there, Dave? :)

> Regards, Dave.

Best Regards,
Omar and Emily

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: New site - final(?) list of problems
Сообщение: Re: New site - final(?) list of problems