Re: merging advocacy and "overview"

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: merging advocacy and "overview"
Дата
Список pgsql-www
>>You would begrudge me a 1.25 inch logo for bothering to write 4 or 5 pages
>>a week of alternative documentation in hopes of spreading understanding of PostgreSQL
>>as well as hosting the site?  We are not so petty as a group.
>>

>Wow, given how quickly you jump to personal attacks apparently we are so
>petty a group. I don't think anyone here is simple enough to not realize
>the advantages of driving lots of traffic directly to your companies
>website, so lets not pretend otherwise, ok?

Woah... maybe we should just write both of these responses off as a
misuderstanding :)

Elein, to be fair no one is begrudging you anything. We are just
trying to determine what the guidelines for things are.

>>Contribution is about content not logos.  I think I deserve to be
>>on the corporate sponsor page.  Obviously I have not been a fly-by-night
>>contributor.

Nobody has said yet that you won't be. However, a gentler approach
may be a better way. I don't think anyone here thinks you are
a fly by night contributor.

>Contribution is about giving away, no matter what the content. Some
>people think my$ql is a free database too, but like general bits, it is
>completely owned and controlled by a single company, and it's future
>currently depends primarily on the best interests of the company before
>that of the community.

The above is a good point. Varlena have you thought
of making General Bits a PgFoundry project. I know it
sounds weird, but you could release each "file" and have
a separate web page.

Would seem a more community driven project at that point?

I am just throwing ideas here at this point.

> Now some people are ok with this type of thing,
>but there are other ways to do things. Look at ecpg, one of our most
>popular packages that is primarily maintained by Michael Meskes. Now he
>could certainly host the package on the Credativ website and reap all
>the benefits of driving traffic his way, but he doesn't do that at all.
>Now there is a company that needs more recognition.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Robert Treat

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Robert Treat
Сообщение: Re: merging advocacy and "overview"
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: merging advocacy and "overview"