Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"
Дата
Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 04/25/2016 05:29 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Melvin Davidson (melvin6925@gmail.com) wrote:
>> Hmmm, if you go back a few comments, you will note that per initdb --help
>> there is no such option available.
>
> It's not an option *to* initdb, it's an option which is used *by*
> initdb.

That really did not clear things up:) Does it mean that you can
pre-populate the $DATA directory with a postgresql.conf that has
allow_system_table_mods set to on and initdb will pick it up?

Personally, I think tampering with the system catalogs is foolish. Still
if you have documentation for something(even if it is a foot gun) it
should be understandable. If the intent is for end users/dba's not use
these options I would say take then out of the user docs and put them in
the developer Wiki section.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com