Re: Simple SQL Question

От Franco Bruno Borghesi
Тема Re: Simple SQL Question
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Didn't know about the seqscan problem when using ORs. But you still can
split the query in two, and then use Union to join the results:

SELECT .... WHERE itemKey=:lastItemKey AND location>:lastLocation
UNION
SELECT ... WHERE itemKey>:lastItemKey

You could solve the OFFSET/LIMIT modification problem if you could keep
the transaction open, but I don't know if it's applicable in your case.

Andras Kutrovics wrote:

> Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
>

> Hi!
>
> Sorry for being late with the answer, I was busy at one of our customer;)
>
>> wouldn't it be easier using offset & limit?: you always select from
>> the table with an itemkey,location order by clause. You save the
>> current offset between requests, and for every request you re-execute
>> the query with a different offset.
>
>   Sure, but sometimes I have to query by name, and dont want to create
>   another query component.
>
>> If you still want to go with what you already have, you should keep
>> the lastItemKey and lastLocaltion values between requests, and your
>> where clause should be something like:
>> WHERE (itemKey=:lastItemKey AND location>:lastLocation) OR
>> (itemKey>:lastItemKey)
>

>   It works perfectly, but I have to consider the performance issue,
>   because if i use 'or' statement, postgres doesn't use index scan,
>   and I also have tables with 3 or more keys and 500.000 records , where
>   the performance of this method is poor.
>   Maybe I will end up using limit and offset in case of incremental
>   fetching,but if the table is modified between requests, it can behave
>   weird.
>   Is there a perfect solution to this?
>
> Sorry for the english
>
> Thank you again,