Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  (Hannu Krosing <hannuk@google.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> I spoke with some folks at PGCon about making PostgreSQL multi-threaded,
> so that the whole server runs in a single process, with multiple
> threads. It has been discussed many times in the past, last thread on
> pgsql-hackers was back in 2017 when Konstantin made some experiments [0].

> I feel that there is now pretty strong consensus that it would be a good
> thing, more so than before. Lots of work to get there, and lots of
> details to be hashed out, but no objections to the idea at a high level.

> The purpose of this email is to make that silent consensus explicit. If
> you have objections to switching from the current multi-process
> architecture to a single-process, multi-threaded architecture, please
> speak up.

For the record, I think this will be a disaster.  There is far too much
code that will get broken, largely silently, and much of it is not
under our control.