spinlocks: generalizing "non-locking test"

От Neil Conway
Тема spinlocks: generalizing "non-locking test"
Дата
Re: spinlocks: generalizing "non-locking test"  (Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Currently, the assembly for TAS() on x86 does a non-locking test before
using an atomic operation to attempt to acquire the spinlock:
__asm__ __volatile__(    "    cmpb    $0,%1    \n"    "    jne    1f    \n"    "    lock        \n"    "    xchgb
%0,%1   \n"    "1: \n"

:        "+q"(_res), "+m"(*lock)
:
:        "memory", "cc");

The reason this is a good idea is that if we fail to immediately acquire
the spinlock, s_lock() will spin SPINS_PER_DELAY times in userspace
calling TAS() each time before going to sleep. If we do an atomic
operation for each spin, this generates a lot more bus traffic than is
necessary. Doing a non-locking test (followed by an atomic operation to
acquire the spinlock if appropriate) is therefore better on SMP systems.

Currently x86 is the only platform on which we do this -- ISTM that all
the other platforms that implement spinlocks via atomic operations could
benefit from this technique.

We could fix this by tweaking each platform's assembler to add a
non-blocking test, but there might be an easier way. Rather than
modifying platform-specific assembler, I believe this C sequence is
equivalent to the non-locking test:
    volatile slock_t *lock = ...;
    if (*lock == 0)        TAS(lock);

Because the lock variable is volatile, the compiler should reload it
from memory for each loop iteration. (If this is actually not a
sufficient non-locking test, please let me know...)

We could add a new s_lock.h macro, TAS_INNER_LOOP(), whose default
implementation would be:
    #define TAS_INNER_LOOP(lock) \        if ((*lock) == 0) \            TAS(lock);

And then remove the x86-specific non-locking test from TAS.

Comments?

-Neil