Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> ... Or maybe we should shorten this
> variable name so it doesn't force reformatting of all this text.
> Possible ideas include "DB_VERSION_NAME", "SERVER_VER_NAME", or
> "SERVER_VERSION_STR".  (The last saves only one character, whereas
> we really need to save two if we're trying not to be wider than any
> other documented variable.)

Just had another idea: maybe make the new variable names
SERVER_VERSION_SSERVER_VERSION_NVERSION_SVERSION_N

"_S" could usefully be read as either "string" or "short", and probably
we should document it as meaning "short".  This way avoids creating any
weird inconsistencies with the existing precedent of the VERSION variable.