Re: Language issues in pgAdmin 1.2.0 beta

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Language issues in pgAdmin 1.2.0 beta
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> GetUserDefaultLangId() returns 1053, and you appear to be using this one
> instead of the UI language one.

We let the underlying wx library choose the default, probably from
GetUserDefaultLangId. Actually, for most users starting pgadmin in their
native language is the best choice. At least, we got far more complaints
when we did not use the default than now (you're the first).

>>Unfortunately Swedish is one of the language that's orphaned,
>>i.e. the previous language maintainer can't continue the
>>work. Do you know somebody who could do that? About 250
>>strings are left, easy work with poedit.
>

> Yup, I noticed that one. Don't know anyone offhand. Dave alreayd asked
> me, but I don't think I'll have the time to do it myself. I'll see if I
> can find someone.

Good!

> How about a limit that says it doesn't have to be 100%, but it has to be
> close, and it has to be actively maintained.

We had this near 100 % limit for 1.0, i.e. all language we're currently
distributing are at least complete for 1.0 (and are at >=75 % for 1.2).
Currently, of the 36 supported languages we have 3 which are known to be
unmaintained because we have the previous translator's feedback, and
some 9 more without any feedback from the former translator, presumably
non-maintained too.
Even the partial translations should be somehow usable, at least
allowing the user to navigate to the options menu to revert the default
setting to some other language.

> This is especially important if you continue to pick the wrong language
> by default, in which case it will default to something broken. If I pick
> it actively, then I'm more likely to accept it being broken and just
> change back.

For 1.3/1.4 which we're probably releasing quite soon after 1.2, it's
planned to implement some language update support, to cope a little with
translations that haven't been finished at release time.

Regards,
Andreas