NEWBIE Query the PG8 Systemtables pg_xxx

От Björn Lietz-Spendig
Тема NEWBIE Query the PG8 Systemtables pg_xxx
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi folks,
It is my intention to create a visual DB-Designer for PostgreSQL 8 based
on libpg.dll. One of the first things I want to do is to query the
"systemtables".
AFAIK the hierachy is server-database-schema-tables-columns etc.
My questions :
1) is there a "Systemtables (pg_xxx)" ER  Model available ? Where ?
2) What is the glue (key-foreign key) between the tables ? The oid ?
3) what the heck is a schema good for. ?
If anybody can provide me an SQL example how o query a database to get
the associated tables and its rows it would be a great help.
As announced in the Subject : I am a PG newbie, so any hints are welcome.
Borke Lietz