Re: Excessive context switching on SMP Xeons

От Alan Stange
Тема Re: Excessive context switching on SMP Xeons
Дата
Re: Excessive context switching on SMP Xeons
Список pgsql-performance
A few quick random observations on the Xeon v. Opteron comparison:

-  running a dual Xeon with hyperthreading turned on really isn't the
same as having a quad cpu system.   I haven't seen postgresql specific
benchmarks, but the general case has been that HT is a benefit in a few
particular work loads but with no benefit in general.

- We're running postgresql 8 (in production!) on a dual Opteron 250,
Linux 2.6, 8GB memory, 1.7TB of attached fiber channel disk, etc.   This
machine is fast.    A dual 2.8 Ghz Xeon with 512K caches (with or
without HT enabled) simlpy won't be in the same performance league as
this dual Opteron system (assuming identical disk systems, etc).  We run
a Linux 2.6 kernel because it scales under load so much better than the
2.4 kernels.

The units we're using (and we have a lot of them) are SunFire v20z.  You
can get a dualie Opteron 250 for $7K with 4GB memory from Sun.  My
personal experience with this setup in a mission critical config is to
not depend on 4 hour spare parts, but to spend the money and install the
spare in the rack.   Naturally, one can go cheaper with slower cpus,
different vendors, etc.

I don't care to go into the whole debate of Xeon v. Opteron here.   We
also have a lot of dual Xeon systems. In every comparison I've done with
our codes, the dual Opteron clearly outperforms the dual Xeon, when
running on one and both cpus.

-- Alan