Re: psql + autocommit

От John Sidney-Woollett
Тема Re: psql + autocommit
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I agree with you 100% about this - whoever it won't affect new users
starting with v8 (including many new Windows users), and those migrating
from other dbs (like Oracle).

If a config switch was available for the build process that could
preserve the "old" behavior - it wouldn't really pose a problem for
existing users migrating their systems to v8 provided they set the
switch appropriately.

A warning message on psql start might help:

Welcome to psql 8.0, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

AUTOCOMMIT is ON/OFF <-- depending on the way it is built

dbname=#

This is an opportunity here to make psql more standards compliant and it
can be done in such a way so as not to p*ss off the existing user base,
and break their applications.

John Sidney-Woollett