Re: postgres "on in the internet"

От Paul Tillotson
Тема Re: postgres "on in the internet"
Дата
Re: postgres "on in the internet"  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
Список pgsql-general
How difficult is it to set up VPN?

I know that in the past my company has used VPN tunnels, but this was
difficult for our remote users to get set up.  I am actually willing to
trade *some* security for ease of installation and simplicity.  This
will have to be deployed on  30 to 40 client computers, several of them
in very (i.e., plane travel) distant locations for non-technical users
who will work remotely.

Whatever the solution is, the setup needs to be scriptable or else very
easy to walk someone through by telephone.

> You could use the following configuration:
>
> client (with IPSEC VPN)

[diagram truncated]

> If you don't want to or can't use IPSEC VPNs, you could try SSL and
> drop connections from clients with unrecognized certs. You may wish to
> put the SSL endpoint on another server (openssl's security track
> record hasn't been that good, neither has openssh for that matter).

For this reason, it occurred to me that an enemy that can't sniff your
traffic, postgres untunnelled is probably more secure than postgres
tunnelled through openssl or openssh.

> Another factor to consider: you may wish to test out Postgresql's
> network performance over higher latency connections first...

Already tested--this app will replace one already deployed that does the
same thing--the existing app is "3 tier" app, but it's a maintenance
nightmare because it is single-threaded (!) and written in a language
with no native RPC or serialization capability.  We realized that alot
of simplicity was to be gained by connecting directly to the database
and putting most of the middle-tier (there isn't that much business
logic anyway) inside postgres itself in the form of used defined
fuctions and triggers.

Regards,
Paul Tillotson

От: Daniel Martini
Сообщение: Re: postgres "on in the internet"
От: Wes
Сообщение: Re: How to determine a database is intact?