Re: Determining client_encoding from client locale

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Determining client_encoding from client locale
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Alvaro
Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> We currently require that you set client_encoding correctly, or you get
>> garbage in psql and any other tool using libpq. How about setting
>> client_encoding automatically to match the client's locale? We have
>> pg_get_encoding_from_locale() function that we can use to extract the
>> encoding from LC_CTYPE. We could call that in libpq.
>
> +1

I wonder if isatty() is true and we have terminfo information if
there's a terminfo capability to query the terminal for the correct
encoding.
But yeah, +1 to automatically using the user's current encoding from LC_CTYPE.

--
Gregory Stark