Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> We got another report today [1] that seems to be due to the problem
> we've seen before with failed vacuum truncations leaving corrupt state
> on-disk [2].  Reflecting on that some more, [...]

This may seem heretical, but I'll say it anyway.

Why don't we do away with vacuum truncation for good?
Is that a feature that does anybody any good?
To me it has always seemed to be more a wart than a feature, like
someone just thought it was low hanging fruit without considering
all the implications.

VACUUM doesn't reclaim space, VACUUM (FULL) does.  That's the way it
(mostly) is, so why complicate matters unnecessarily?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue
Сообщение: Re: Sketch of a fix for that truncation data corruption issue