Re: error with unicode thing??

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: error with unicode thing??
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
chinni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created a table
> create table temp1(a varchar(200));
>
> and then I tried running the following code.
>
> String msg1 = "\u0000abcd";
> PreparedStatement preparedStmt =pgConnection.prepareStatement("insert
> into temp1 values(?)");
> preparedStmt.clearParameters();
> preparedStmt.setString(1, msg1);
> preparedStmt.executeUpdate();
> preparedStmt.close();
>
> And it throws an Exception saying "\0 not allowd"what should I do ?
> How should I insert unicode string using jdbc ?

AFAIK, you can't store \0 in a text (varchar, ...) field. This is a
server-side restriction, not a JDBC-specific issue. Any other (16 bit)
unicode character should be fine assuming it can be represented in your
DB encoding.

You may want to use bytea and PreparedStatement.setBytes() if you really
want to store arbitary data.

-O