Re: Contrib -- PostgreSQL shared variables

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Contrib -- PostgreSQL shared variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:

>I expect to see substantial resistance to incorporating such a feature. One
>argument will be that he should simply use a separate system for such data.
>For example, memcached would be much faster and more scalable than
>communicating via postgres.

Postgres should do what postgres is good at IMNSHO. Small is beautiful.

>The only disadvantage to using something like memcached would be that you
>couldn't transparently use values from there inside your queries. You would
>have to fetch them and then pass them as parameters to postgres.

Could you not overcome that using server-side functions, in, say, C or
plperlu? In fact I suspect you could implement this whole scheme using
memcached (which looks quite cool and exactly made for this) plus a very
small amount of plperlu glue.

cheers

andrew