Re: Possible to insert quoted null value into integer field?

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Possible to insert quoted null value into integer field?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/26/2004 4:27 AM, gnari wrote:

> "Pablo S" <pablo_tweek@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all, I have search high and low on this -
>>
>> Take for instance the statement :
>>
>> insert into foo (text1, text2, int1) values ('Foo', 'Bar', '');
>>
>> On Pg 7.2.x, the db would happily insert the null val into the int
>> field.  HOWSOMEVER, 7.4.x will explode and error back with:

You aren't inserting an SQL NULL value. You try to insert an empty
string, which is not a valid integer representation.

Jan

>> "DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer:
>> "" at /cgi-bin/foo line xxx"
>>
>> I see what it is complaining about but I am wondering if there is any
>> way to roll back this feature, as I have this cheesy bit of perl that
>> dynamically builds the query and quotes everything and I don't want to
>> have to change all occurrences to insert the NULL or worse yet try to
>> differentiate between int/string.
>
> if all else fails, you might use a view mirroring the original
> table, but with int1 defined as varchar, with rules handling the
> conversion at insert/update.
>
> gnari

Сообщение: Re: R: R: space taken by a row & compressed data
Сообщение: Re: R: R: space taken by a row & compressed data