Re: 8.0 Open Items

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: 8.0 Open Items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Okay, I don't want to force an initdb just for this either.  But if we
> do one for other reasons, it's toast.

I don't see why an initdb is required: if we want to remove it, we can
replace the function's implementation with elog(ERROR, "this function
has been removed"), or the like. The difference between doing that much
and actually removing the function's catalog entry is pretty negligible
from the user's POV. The next time we bump the catalog version (either
during beta or during the 8.1 cycle), we can remove the catalog entry
for the function.

That said, I don't see the need to get rid of the function in time for
8.0, and it would be nice to have a more public notice of deprecation
(the release notes) to give users fair warning before we remove it.

-Neil

P.S. I hope everyone had a good summer!