Re: tablespace and sequences?

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: tablespace and sequences?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> IMVHO, I think the following todo item should make it for 8.0:
>
>     Allow database recovery where tablespaces can't be created
>
>     When a pg_dump is restored, all tablespaces will attempt to be
>         created in their original locations. If this fails, the user must
>         be able to adjust the restore process.
>
> Indeed, if someone step to 8.0, make some use of tablespace, and connot
> move its databases because of this issue, I guess she will not going to be
> happy at all... I guess something like "--ignore-tablespace" at the
> restoration phase would be good. At the dump phase it would be a minimum.

How is that at all a problem?  It's no different to the requirement to
have installed all your contrib .so's before running your restore,
what's so hard about making a few dirs?  It's also no different to the
old database locations support.  Personally, I think it's a non-issue.

It's also impossible to do as you suggest and have a --ignore-tablespace
flag.  All it could do is at dump time to dump NO tablespace, which is
NOT what you want.  At restore time it doesn't do anything since
pg_dumpall is a text format only.

Chris