Re: Strange problems with more memory.

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Strange problems with more memory.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
If your nightly process is heavily read-only, then raid5 is probably
fine. If however, there is a significant write component then it would
perhaps be worth getting another disk and converting to raid10
(alternatively - see previous postings about raid cards with on-board
cache). Are you seeing a lot of write activity?

Note that it is possible for a SELECT only workload to generate
significant write activity - if the resulting datasets are too large for
memory sorting or hashing. I'm *guessing* that with an 11G database and
1G (or was that 2G?) of ram that it is possible to overflow whatever
your sort_mem is set to.

cheers

Mark