Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/10/2004 5:51 AM, Mike Mascari wrote:

> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 02:05, sector119@mail.ru wrote:
>>
>>> Will PostgreSQL 8.0 include replication server (not contrib/*)
>>> and nested transactions support?
>>

>> Slony-I just came out in beta, and it appears to be quite a nice
>> replication system.

Slony-I is released and we will follow up with a 1.0.2 that will support
PostgreSQL 8.0beta1 this week, so that people can test replicating their
7.x databases to 8.0 in preparation of upgrade switchover.

> I wonder if it would be a good idea from a propaganda perspective to
> include a reference to Slony-I in the press release and possibly the
> release notes? Or would such an imprimatur be inappropriate?

The Slony team would appreciate this, but I think pointing to one
project only is inappropriate, given the current marketshare situation.
The marketshare should change quickly, because Slony-I is a highly
active project, as the instant 8.0 support demonstrates (CVS tip and
REL_1_0_STABLE branch run with 8.0beta1 so the 1.0.2 release is more or
less wrapping a tarball), while other replication projects are seriously
behind the release schedule. A fact that contradicts the ever so often
made claim that an integrated solution would have release schedule or
maintenance advantages. I cannot see the disadvantages of an external
project in this case.

However, replication is a top priority question and the press release
for 8.0 must address this. The more so because PostgreSQL seems to be
the only database that for good reasons does not come with a bundled or
builtin replication thingy, but rather relies on the diversity and
specialization of related projects.

> Also, what is the etymology of the term Slony?

Elephants, especially this one: http://slony.info

Jan