Re: Exception handling from trigger

От Vlad Dimitriu
Тема Re: Exception handling from trigger
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:

>You can't.  From a logical perspective this is sensible, because the
>trigger is handed data already formed into a tuple.  If the presented
>tuple contained a mycolumn value wider than 64 characters then it would
>not be a legal value of the rowtype (any more than if, say, the column
>value were an integer and not a varchar at all).
>
>What I'd suggest if you want this is to remove the datatype restriction
>and instead rely on your trigger to enforce the limitation.

I just realised that. I would design those columns as text
and enforce value length restrictions with triggers.

It's a false problem:  I define the data type for a field and
want to check his value after the exception that I can't fit
larger data into my field.

Thank you, Rod, Tom ....

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: surrogate keys and replication.
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Suggestions on storing re-occurring calendar events